Re: Roadmap to Lenny.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:

As you know, Lenny will freeze in a few days and the release team hopes
to have it out in September. This will be the release of Debian Med 1.0,
so let's have everything neat for the new users that will join us. I
identify the following tasks:

Many thanks for bringing this up.

- Getting proper Debtags for our packages.

I added this point to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo .
But effort on this should be done *after* the actual freeze - we have
about three days left to polish on packages.

- Translating the package descriptions.

Very good point but I'm a little bit frustrated about this.  As you probably
know from my announcement of the new tasks pages I added links to the description
translation server.  I asked the i18n people whether this is OK, because I had
serious trouble to enable fixing a broken translation.  (It was undocumented
but I solved it by guessing.)  This turned into a lengthy and flamish thread
(well, I admit I lost myself nerves which I regret somehow - but the attitude
"I did not checked what you are doing and I don't understand what you are
asking - but just don't do this" really heated my normally quiet temper ... [2])
The thread ended so that I just turned the links to fix a translation into
invisible comments (see html code of any task page and look for /force/).
The problem is that the technique i18n people seems in my eyes completely
insufficient (I would immediately have 4-5 wishlist bug reports that would
lead to drastic enhancement of the workflow and guessing from my experience
they should be even simple to implement).  But i18n people somehow adapted
to this workflow and feel not happy about changing anything.  I hope to
be able to enhance this situation at debconf ...

- Translating the menu entries.

Hmmm, what do you mean here?  Desktop files?  This would mean new uploads
and if you think this should have priority this has to be done *now*.

- Translating the Alioth site.

Yep.

- Polishing the www.debian.org/devel/debian-med web pages.

Uhhhm, yeees.  I wished I would find some motivation for this - the page
definitely needs more love!

Do not hesitate to discuss those issues on this list when you feel that
some coordination is needed!

If I understood you correct the point of "translating menu items" is
the only one we have a certain (and short deadline) - so I would like
to put it on top priority.  But I'm personally not able to help in just
doing something (except of a sponsored upload if needed).

I will definitely put the description translation issue on high
priority for DebConf.

Apropos DebConf:  Who of the readers of this list will be there???

Thanks again for pointing to this problem

       Andreas.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2008/07/msg00224.html (and I excused
    for the tone in my next mail ...)