Re: [EMBOSS] EMBOSS 6.0.0 released

Le Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:47:43AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> >because the freeze is so near, and because EMBOSS often releases patches
> >that would be difficult to push in Stable, I decided to upload the
> >latest version (actually 6.0.1) to experimental.
>
> Well, to prevent a package to enter testing you can upload also
> to unstable and file an RC bug "Not for Lenny".  The drawback if you upload
> to experimental is that it is hidden there for most users because it is
> not usual to have experimental in the sources.list.  Or was your argument
> about "often releases patches" that you want to be free to propagate
> fixes for EMBOSS 5.x to testing and you are afraid that this might
> cause trouble because of the additional package?

Hi Andreas,

it is a mixture of:

 - Keeping a simple way to send fixes to Lenny if necessary (going
   through Unstable is preferred compared to testing-proposed-updates).
   This said, I do not expect upstream patches for EMBOSS 5.
 - Keeping a bit of time for the udate of the EMBASSY packages, that are
   built against EMBOSS 5.
 - Being able to upload quiclky to NEW without havin to think too much
   about the above two points.

But your point is right, and I habe nothing against uploading to
unstable after having checked that EMBOSS 6 works well the packages that
depend or enhance it.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles