Re: Better l10n for CDDs

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:15:20 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, David Paleino wrote:
>
> >> IMHO a better approach would have been to use "parameters" inside i18n
> >> strings. That is, instead of: [..]
> >
> > This means, see r1979 for an example of what I meant.
>
> As I said I understood your arguing, but your commit does not work
> properly because it results in
>
>      This is a list of the Tasks <span></span> is made of:

<gh>.
It seems like you're not reading my posts :p

Check those pages again... ;)

> > This also ensures that
> > translations made by a group are available also to other groups! :)
>
> This is in fact the final goal, but as I said my plan is to create one
> static HTML page püer language and leave the language detection to
> the web server (at least I heard this as recommendation - I don't know
> how reliebale this works on alioth).

That might be another solution -- less efficient IMHO, but there are always
different POVs.

> The rationale is to reduce the burden for alioth and even more importantly
> for my nerves, because I always have to wait for 10 seconds at least until
> our content filter found out that the content of this page is harmless.
> Somehow the current PHP code seems to work very inefficiently when content
> filters are involved and I would like to avoid this.

Really? I can't believe that!
PHP's gettext() is not that bad... probably you have some other problem with
your filter? Do you have any log for that? I can put some lines of code to see
how much it takes to PHP to generate the "final" page... but that would be
milliseconds, IMHO.

David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino