Re: Imagej group maintenance?

Il giorno mer, 28/05/2008 alle 14.39 +0200, Andreas Tille ha scritto:
> Well, I think I the bugs are quite easy to handle if you have some experience
> with gcj because I can not imagine that gcj has no method to handle JPEG images
> which causes 5 of 6 errors and I somehow smell out of general experience that
> the first problem is not that hard to fix.

Dear Andreas,

in this period i'm little busy preparing a lot of lessons (ocular
phisiology) :( so i'm not able to manage imagej new features/bugs but i
wrote to the only person who tried to compile image with gcj and the
answer i've received is pasted at the end.

hope this help
till next
paolo

Warning: it's not worth it.

Warning 2: the following notes are from June 2006, with gcj6, and ij137

Here are my notes to help you get started. Good luck.

- remove any ocurrrence of the string ';;' (since gcj chokes) in source
code

- fix text encoding oddities where gcj chokes (may have changed with
latest ij.jar src)

- disable JPEG support at ij/plugin/JpegWriter.java, involving
JPEGImageEncoder class, or delete the ij/plugin/JpegWriter.java file.

- disable Tools.jar calls:
   delete ij/plugin/Compiler.java
   remove from IJ_props.txt:
      #plug-in05="Edit...",ij.plugin.Compiler("edit")
      #plug-in06="Compile and Run...",ij.plugin.Compiler

- install awt library
   $ sudo apt-get install libgcj6-aw

Once you have the above, then:
$ mkdir build
$ rm -v ij.jar
$ rm -vrf build/*
$ /usr/bin/gcj-wrapper-4.0 -g -d build ij/*java ij/gui/*java
ij/io/*java
ij/macro/*java ij/measure/*java ij/plugin/*java ij/plugin/filter/*java
ij/plugin/frame/*java ij/process/*java ij/text/*java ij/util/*java
$ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/jar cvfm ij.jar MANIFEST.MF -C build/ ij
$ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/java -jar ij.jar

Debugging with gdb:

Create a .gdbinit in the home or in the working dir, containing (used
by
the garbage
collector):

handle SIGPWR nostop noprint
handle SIGXCPU nostop noprint

Needed debugging symbols for gdb in ddd:

$ sudo apt-get install libgcj6-dbg libgcj6-dev libgcj6-src

Compiling to object code:

$ gcj -shared -findirect-dispatch -Wl,-Bsymbolic -fjni -o ij.jar.so
ij.jar
 (creates ij.jar.so)
$ gcj-dbtool -a ij.db ij.jar ij.jar.so
 (creates ij and ij.db)
$ ./ij -consolelog -debug -vm gij vmargs
-Dgnu.gcj.precompiled.db.path=ij.db

--
Neuroscience PhD
Post-doc @ University of Torino