Re: Patch format

Am Montag, den 19.05.2008, 13:22 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> Le Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:50:37PM +0200, Daniel Leidert a écrit :
> > Am Sonntag, den 18.05.2008, 12:27 +0200 schrieb David Paleino:
> >
> > [..]
> > > Can we standardize the patch header? Be it quilt, dpatch, $foo, the header
> > > might be something like:

> > > Forwarded:
> >
> > I personally prefer to follow the GNU coding standards here [1] for
> > patch descriptions.
> >
> > [1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Style-of-Change-Logs.html#Style-of-Change-Logs
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I do not understand: the link you gave is for changelogs.

Yeah, exactly. And a Changelog entry is nothing else than a change
description ... exactly what you try to achieve - describe, what apatch
does/changes. As I told in this thread I would recommend a good patch
description in debian/changelog (a changelog), because it is the first
place one will look for. And you can use the same patch/change
description you put in the changelog also in the patch. It makes it easy
to understand, where something has changed and why.

However, this is my personal preference and I follow this GNU Changelog
style in almost all of my changelogs - GNU ChangeLog and
debian/changelog files. So it is some kind of easy for me.

> Can you give us an example of patch header using this style ?

http://svn.wgdd.de/websvn/wsvn/packages/bluefish/trunk/debian/patches/02_431023_fix_segfault_in_aspell.dpatch?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debichem/unstable/gperiodic/debian/patches/16_466231_remove_markup_on_console.dpatch?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debichem/unstable/easychem/debian/patches/01_fix_bug_380210_fix_buffer_overflow.dpatch?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

It is just a suggestion, how a patch description could look like. If you
take a look at the debian/changelog files of the packages we maintain in
debichem, you can see, how to apply the same scheme to non programming
files, like e.g. Makefiles or .desktop files, ... An example:

* Makefile.am (xml_DATA): Remove license. We ship it in
  debian/copyright.
* foobar.desktop (Encoding, Whatever): Removed obsolete fields.

Then add whatever else you need: bug report references, forwards to
upstream bug-tracker, comments by upstream, ...

Rgards, Daniel