Re: [RFS] clustalw

Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 07:26:53AM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:

The package for Clustal W 2.0.3 is ready.
Thanks.
Without having had a look into the packaging: Is there any chance to
build a separate libclustalw from this source that would also work
together with Mauve?

Well, it is a few releases ahead. I suggest Aaron to contact upstream,
especially that libclustalw is infringing the license of Clustal W. We
can not distribute it unless an agreement is found. This would also be
an opportunity to reduce the diff between the two branches as much as
possible.
Hello all,

The mauveAligner codebase depends on the library refactorization of clustalw 1.83. I believe the new 2.x series of clustal releases was rewritten from scratch. Although I have not checked, I would assume that the internal structure would be quite different to 1.83 and that it would be much more work to refactor 2.x into a library than it would be for me to remove the current dependency on clustalw altogether.

That said, I investigated the licensing of the clustalw 1.83 codebase from which libClustalW derives. I found this statement at the top of the readme:

                 POLICY ON COMMERCIAL DISTRIBUTION OF CLUSTAL W

Clustal W is freely available to the user community. However, Clustal W is
increasingly being distributed as part of commercial sequence analysis
packages. To help us safeguard future maintenance and development, commercial
distributors of Clustal W must take out a NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENCE. Anyone
wishing to commercially distribute version 1.81 of Clustal W should contact the
authors unless they have previously taken out a licence.

Since I do not distribute libClustalW or Mauve commercially, I believe I am within the scope and spirit of the license. If the original clustalw authors feel otherwise, however, they are welcome to contact me. I probably did misstep by not including the license in a file when I refactored it into a library. I've now committed the license to the source code repository.

Sorry, haven't had time to make an official libGenome release yet. I will do it in conjunction with the next official Mauve release. This could take some time (weeks?)

-Aaron