Re: Build-dependency for rasmol: cbflib

[I take the freedom to quote your private mail to Debian-Med list and
 hope you don't mind about ignorance of the netiquette in this special
 case.]

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Teemu Ikonen wrote:

A new version of rasmol (2.7.4) is going to be released soon. Upstream
has added a dependency to a rather obscure library, which the build
system actually tries to download during build. This is of course not
how it should be done in Debian. I've packaged the library in
question, CBFlib (see ITP bug #467655), and would like to see it in
the archive before the 2.7.4 release becomes actual. Would you be
interested in sponsoring it?

Just downloading it to have a look.  If it is a precondition for
rasmol I see a clear need for sponsoring it.

BTW, once you are at preparing a new rasmol version would you mind
to put it under group maintenance of the Debian-Med packagint team?
You could read about this at:

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

I would be in great favour of this because it just simplifies
the work if a package is group maintained.  Alternatively the
package might have a good home at the DebiChem team.

From a first view onto the source packaging of cbflib I would have
some remarks:

  0. Think about group maintenance in DebiChem or Debian-Med
     as well.
  1. If it is a library you should probably follow the library
     packaging guide.  This includes providing a package containing
     the dynamical library as well as a -dev package with static
     library and *.h files.
     Hint: The most easiest way to build both is making usage of
     automake and libtools.  If you have problems with this
     you could ask on debian-devel.  If you decide to do so
     it is a very good idea to talks to upstream about this first.
  2. I see large chunks of documentation in the source package
     but no separate doc package.  I would strongly advise to
     build a separate doc package.

So far for a quick view without even trying to build the package.

BTW, did rasmol upstream accepted your GTK version?

Kind regards and thanks for working on rasmol