linking apps in Debian-Med with data

Hello,

you may have become aware of the trunk/community/infrastructure/getData
effort to download databases and to spawn the one or other application
once the download has completed. It works, in a perl hash you
  "identify the database" => {
	name => "describe it a bit more",
	source => "say how to mirror it and ",
	"post-download" => "list what to do once the files have appeared locally"
  },
Easy, isn't it?

At the moment I am using that post-download feature only to unzip the
prior downloaded files - indexing for blast or so is probably a better
textbook-like use case but not mine, really :o/   Is there anybody out
there who would like to have a look at getData to add some more
sophisticated dependencies to the Debian-(Med|Science) infrastructure?

I personally think that this effort should grow into something that is
(with some extra modules) also functional for other Linux distributions.
Though that is just a longer-term vision of mine. Debian should be
granted a head-start.

Please give me some feedback.

Best,

Steffen