Re: Packaging AxPcoords for Debian

Here's some issues with AxPcoords (keeping Alexis CCed).

First (this is for Alexis, for the next release), there's an #include <string.h>
missing, and gcc throws away some warnings:

AxPcoords.c:171: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function ‘strcpy’
AxPcoords.c:181: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function ‘strcat’
AxPcoords.c:199: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function ‘strcpy’

But I've added a patch, this is a minor issue.

The real issue is this:

gcc  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -D_USE_LAPACK -D_USE_ACML
-I../acml3.6.0/gnu32/include/ -c  AxPcoords.c -o AxPcoordsACML.o
AxPcoords.c:47:18: error: acml.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [AxPcoordsACML.o] Error 1

I've already contacted AMD (yes, I did, really) to ask if they could relicense
their ACML under a free license (GPL/BSD/Artistic/...). Here's their reply:

> From: tech.support@AMD.COM
> To: d.paleino@GMAIL.COM
> Subject: Re: ACML-Support
> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:52:03 -0800 (GMTUK)
>
> Dear David,
> thanks for contacting the AMD/ATI Tech Support.
>
> Basically ACML is a free library. You only need to provide us your details for
> using this library in commercial projects.
>
> You should be able to use ACML for Debian as well:
>
> http://developer.amd.com/tools/acml/downloads/Pages/default.aspx
>
> Just use a GFortran of PGI compiler. For instance Gfortran is available for
> debian here:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/gfortran
>
> If you have further questions, feel free to contact us.
>
> Best regards
> Robert
> AMD EURO TSC London

What I'm asking is: can this library go in non-free? Or is that some of those
packages because it's "impossible to distribute" without permission from AMD?

Thanks,
David

P.S.: I'm finishing the packaging and injecting a patched version which doesn't
compile the ACML version.

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino