Re: Association between files and applications.

Am Montag, den 14.01.2008, 19:06 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> Le Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 04:25:44PM +0100, Daniel Leidert a écrit :

[..]
> > you MUST add the top-class, if they belong to a top-class (which seems
> > to be the case for me):
> >
> > <sub-class-of type="text/plain"/>
>
> This is interesting, because I was hesitating between text/ and
> aplication/ in some cases.

Independent from this decision: If the file is a plain text file
(independent if you choose to put the MIME type into application/ or
text/ ... even an application/foo file can be a plain text file), you
must add the information, that the MIME type is a sub-lass of
text/plain. Otherwise GNOME-VFS and probably also the KDE4 libs will
fail to detect the correct file type. They will then tell you in slow
detection, that the file is of type text/plain instead of text/foo|
application/foo (whatever you have chosen). The explanation is in the
discussion I linked in my second mail.

> For PerlPrimer, I swiched to
> application/x-perlprimer, because although the file is readable as
> simple text, it does not have much interest. For the multiple sequence
> alignments, in contrary, I will keep text/x-clustalw-alignment. For the
> phylogenetic trees, I do not know… application/x-clustalw-alignment is
> probably better if nobody reads the tree directly in the text file.
>
> Here is a link to PerlPrimers's sharedmimeinfo file. Is it correct ?

Looks good to me. gnomevfs-info can tell you, if the correct type is
detected.

Regards, Daniel