Re: DM application for David Paleino

Le Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 03:32:57PM +0100, David Paleino a écrit :
> Hi all,
> I'm writing this to apply for Debian Maintainership.

Dear all,

On the 22nd of April this year, I got a mail of David asking how he
could help Debian Science, and I invited him in the Debian-Med packaging
team. Eight months later I have to say that I am really impressed to see
how he adapted himself to Debian and how he became independant in
performing his work and setting his goals.

The fist package David made was for the C++ command-line program
`proda', and after he proved his skills and motivations by completing
this one, I asked him to package a perl CGI interface to a the
bioinformatical suite emboss, `emboss-explorer'. He then was very kind
to accept to package `libsvg-graph-perl', which brings no fame but
helped us to have a proper support of the bioperl library, that is very
important in the field of bioinformatics.

http://packages.debian.org/sid/proda
http://packages.debian.org/sid/emboss-explorer
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libsvg-graph-perl

In the course of this work, he eventually joined the Perl team, in which
he could learn and see things that are not done in Debian-Med, and we
are very pleased that he did not forgot us, and came back to write web
pages on Alioth in which we centralise informations about all packages
in Debian-Med's radar. (http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org).

David always showed high goals for the quality of his packages and cares
for others by performing repository-wide horizontal works. I appreciate
his social skills and he is always open-minded and never answers to
critisms by confrontational postures.

All of these are the reasons why, although I am not a DD, I would like
to join my positive comment to the official advocations. I hope that he
will have opportunities to solve his key signing problem. Maybe a DD can
ask on debian-private if somebody is about to take holidays near his
living place ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy