Re: Problems with source-orphan documents in dialign-t

Le Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:16:55AM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I'd strongly vote against putting a package under non-free just because of
> formal reasons like:
>   - Upstream has no time to answer the request of providing missing
>     pieces of source for the docs
>   - Maintainer hesitates to touch upstream tarball even if there is
>     fully free replacement available
>   - Code is free but some additional chunks of data are not (in this
>     case we should split the source into '+dfsg' and '+non-free'
>     but our current case is different, because there is a replacement).

Of course, I share your opinion. I do think that, since all in the
upstream tarball is free, it should go in main. It just seems that
either Debian as a whole disagrees, or that the majority is not
interested in overrulling the members of the ftpmaster team for such
rare corner cases.

I really do not like to remove files from an upstream archive in these
cases where there is not any benefit for the user. I think that we
should restrict our modifications to the meaningful ones. By forking
more and more upstream tarballs, we increase the signal/noise ratio. If
each and every file in the upstream tarball is free, why removing any ?
This is not like when a copyrighted article is included with the
program.

Let us see what opinions are given on -devel, and wait for the answer of
Jorg Jaspert.

> Did you forewarded the XML to the author (perhaps he likes to add this
> to the upstream tarball)?

Actually, just a link to our SVN.

Have a nice day,

--