Re: Packaging of aeskulap for Debian and dcmtk issue

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Alexander Pipelka wrote:

I don't see any big trouble in using the official Debian dcmtk packages
for building Aeskulap. It's included for convenient compiling (and other
distributions which don't package dcmtk).

Ahh, OK.  So in case we would package aeskulap for Debian we would
probably split the unneeded chunks of dcmtk source from the tarball
that will be used for building the Debian package which would reduce
the tarball to about 20%.  But I insist on making you wonder about
the fact that this copying of code might help one group of users
while others might be confused and there is always the chance of
triggering a fork (even if this is not intended).

One problem to solve would be to make the usage of the external dcmtk
configurable (via configure switch). The other problem is that Aeskulap
links to a dynamic library version of dcmtk (i don't know if the offical
dcmtk packages uses dynamic or static libraries).

Linking to a dynamic library is mandatory according to Debian best
packaging practices and for any lib that follows this strong recommendation
we have a static and a dynamic library.  So this is no problem at all
inside Debian.

Kind regards and thanks for your input