Re: Splitting the microbio.wml page?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:

Our "microbio" page is really growing big. In parallel, we will soon
acheive to have in Debian dm_coffee, a meta-aligner which runs six
different alignment programs and combines their output. I am considering
giving to sequence alignment its dedicated page in our website.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/microbio

Well, I come closer and closer to the idea of auto generating those
pages and most probably this will end on a (not translated) alioth
page while the main entry page just links to these pages.  So doing
some larger scale restructuring of this page does not seem very useful
for me.  We should probably think about a reasonable split strategy
but I do not think that performing this on the WML code makes much
sense.

Somehow, it does not fit our "one page = one metapackage" goal. Or maybe
we could also create a "sequence alignment" metapackage ?

Well, in my understanding the meta packages should be not a way in making
some science about well balanced categories but rather a practical tool
for our users.  If it happens that we have a large set of users that
just need the sequence alignment functionality while beeing annoyed by
all the other stuff of med-bio they have no interest in than we should
make a split for good.  Because creating the new auto generated web
pages will be based on the meta package organisation (if this would not
be the case we would need just another layer of complexity which I would
like to avoid for the sake of making simple things simple) we have to
split the meta packages to reach the goal of splitted web pages.
(Feel free to disagree to convince me that we need one meta package but
a split of the web pages - in the current planing phase of the development
there is some space left for new ideas.)

This would
also solve the problems of the dependancies of dm_coffee. It is a
special mode of the t_coffee program, but if the t-coffee package would
recommend all the other aligners, it would be a dissymetric situation.
However, if the dependancies of the meta-aligner would be satisfied by a
med-sequence-alignment package, the situation could be acceptable...

http://wiki.debian.org/SequenceAlignment

This link brings up a further point: I would like to stop the split
of the competing lists of packages between Wiki and current WML but
later on auto generated.  Would it be acceptable for you to maintain
the content of the listing in alioth CVS from where the pages should
be generated?