Re: Request for Alioth

This one time, at band camp, David Paleino said:
> Hi (CC-ing to Debian-Med),

Hi!

I'll try to answer, but a lot of the gforge stuff is handled by
Lo-lan-do, so I might be mistaken.  Take what I say with a grain of
salt.

> I'm a member of the Debian-Med team, and I've ultimately been working
> on our homepage at http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org .  We'd like to
> have some "stats" about our packages (i.e. bugs, versions in
> distributions, ...). As concerns the bugs, I thought we could use
> (from PHP):
>
> 1) ldap component to query bts2ldap.debian.net; but the ldap component
> is not installed; 2) soap component to query the Debbugs SOAP
> interface; but Alioth has php4, which doesn't carry soap with it.
>
> I've already talked long to Raphael Hertzog about this: he suggested
> me that having a dynamic page always generate the results might carry
> some latency to the end-user. So he suggested to make a cronjob with a
> tool that generated a static page.

I largely agree with this.

> So I thought at this tool: python (import SOAPpy failed), perl (use
> SOAP::Lite failed), someone on the debian-med list suggested Ruby, but
> I didn't want to try just to fail again.
>
> So, the question is: is there any chance of an upgrade to PHP5 (that
> has soap integrated, plus many other features over PHP4) for Alioth?
> Or is it better that I create my own tool (Python, Perl, Ruby,
> $whatever), and then ask you to install the required components /
> dependencies?

My understanding is that gforge needs some work to run under php5, and
that that work has not been done on the version running on alioth
(Roland, correct me if I'm wrong).  I'd be happy to help you by
installing libraries in whatever language of choice you need, but I am a
little reluctant to mess with the php version installed, as I'm sure you
can imagine.  Join us on #alioth if you want faster attention today -
I'm doing some work today that involves being on IRC much of the time
anyway, so I'll probably see your request faster there.

Thanks,