Re: Pakaging Staden for Debian

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:24:08AM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:
> >  If you ask me, it would be a good idea to
> >provise io_lib only separately and give according hints in
> >the Staden build instructions.
>
> I suspect this is the same rationale as using the built-in version of
> Tcl - this is a version known to work stably with Staden.

Not quite. Io_lib is our package too so it's not just a copy of an
external package we know to work. It was split off as a separate
package simply as many people wanted it that way without the baggage
of the whole Staden package. It also allowed us to make it easier to
build without tackling head on the full problem of revamping the
Staden build system. It's not ideal though.

James

PS. I ought to check our Tk copy too.  In the past we edited various
bits of Tcl source to fix bugs and improve features, but I think over
the years they were incorporated into the official Tk release anyway.
I don't think there's any outstanding local changes I still use, but
I'd have to double check before I could say that with any confidence.

--
James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk)
A Staden Package developer: https://sourceforge.net/projects/staden/