Re: Considering hijacking bioperl.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:

The current maintainer of bioperl in Debian, Matt Hope, is MIA.

Yes.

I decided to prepare an upgraded package for bioperl instead of installing
from CPAN. I propose to upload it to experimental.

Is there any reason to use experimental instead of unstable?

For the moment, the package I prepared has the following maintainer and
uploader:

Maintainer: Debian-Med Packaging Team <debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uploaders: Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org>

Well, I'd regard it more polite if you would mention Matt as additional
uploader - just to be formally correct.

Additionaly, I would like to know if some people would be interested to
package the following CRAN modules, which bioperl 1.5.2 would recommend:

     libace-perl: [WWW] http://stein.cshl.org/AcePerl/
     libbio-asn1-entrezgene-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Bio-ASN1-EntrezGene/
     libclass-autoclass-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Class-AutoClass/
     libconvert-binary-c-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Convert-Binary-C/
     libdata-stag-xmlwriter-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/~cmungall/Data-Stag/Data/Stag/XMLWriter.pm
     libpostscript-textblock-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/~shawnpw/PostScript-0.06/TextBlock.pm
     libset-scalar-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Set-Scalar/
     libsvg-perl: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/dist/SVG/
     libsvg-graph: [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/dist/SVG-Graph/
     libxml-dom-xpath-perl [WWW] http://search.cpan.org/~mirod/XML-DOM-XPath-0.13/XPath.pm

(I can file proper RFPs if you want)

Well, I just learned that RFPs without explicite interest of a potential maintainer are not worth the effort in most cases. So if I would be in
your shoes I would only file a RFP bug if somebody would respond to this
mail explicitely stating that he is interested.