Re: [De] Open Source factory enables us to work on their Debian Box

Hi,

I admit to find their packaging fairly pleasant, although one should not
expect too many random visitors in a book store/web site that are curious
enough to buy that product by chance. In order to be attractive to buyers,
the description would have to explain the set of the user's problems that the
Debian distribution solves. We'd need use cases.  If we can fill a page of
such: perfect. We should announce them not only in that marginal product but
everywhere. The use case that is frequently being forgotten is that of an
audience, a community ... I'll elaborate on this thought a bit:

Assuming that DebianMed's key clients^H^H^H^H^H^H^H users are medical doctors
or preclinical researchers, I am fairly confident that we should expect
roughly about Zerro direct positive effects from the OpenSourceFactory's
package. From my experience with forcing life science students that are all
Windows-savvy into _using_ Linux and its tools on their
everything-installed-for-them-at-a-keypress computer lab, about 90% seem to
get around with it in a kind of OKish or better fashion. They all have some
Java programming skills. Of these, around 5-10% also have the ambition to
seek and extend their personal frontiers in computing. For them, the Open
Source world is a gem. We should not care about getting the full 90%. We
should only care about the 5-10% ... but the right 5-10%.

But now, getting back to the book store: A medical doctor will not go after
Debian unless She knows
 * his/er telescope can display stars/satellites/planets nicer with Debian
 * his/er model trains crash less frequently with Debian
 * his/er kids learn more about computing with Debian than with Windows
 * She gets more tax back with Debian
 * ...
She will never dare to toy around with his/er professional equipment in the
clinics. And She will not tamper the running windows machine at home. She
will use a spare computer and most likely ask a friend to install things.
Hence, if my understanding is kind of matching real life: there is not much
of a point to expect fully trained doctors to buy into Linux hoping for
professional assitance in the first place.

With a few exeptions, medical doctors are used to pay for computing services -
they just cannot do it themselves and updates because of changes in the
health system are intrinsically painful. And they expect it to be a PITA
untill some customisation works kind of like hoped. For them, Open Source
communities are completely unreal environment. They do not know about how to
behave and whom to talk to. The initially mentioned use cases should not
necessarily expect the doctors to solve problems themselves. Maybe it would
be sufficient if we helped doctors to better phrase their problem. It would
be nice though if we could present ourselves as a community of ITlers that
like medical professions, that listens to medical IT issues and that might
have an advice here or there that eventually ends up in a working solution.

Of the medical professionals at Universities, at least in Germany, Doctors
involved in research all get in contact with Linux or Linux people on a
regular basis. It is them who analyse their data or contribute to the
analysis.  There is little if at all preclinical research that does not
involve universities and big pharma knows Linux. Local doctors that have
their expensive local environment set up are very unlikely to change a
running system. If there was an Open System ripe for installation in a young
doctor's real life then it would be taught.

already. IMO, Open Source should present itself as a community, not as a
product. We could mention ourselves as communities.

Cheers,

Steffen