Re: One more update for Debian-Med ?

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:

As Debian-Med is a metapackage, a post-freeze update should not be
harmful. Do you think that the release team would accept a new version
shortly after the freeze ? It seems to me that it makes sense that the
metapackages would be the last ones to be updated, as you can not guess
the contents of Etch before it is frozen.

While I perfectly agree that a post-freeze update for meta-packages
might make perfectly sense (or rather you even *should* update
meta-packages very late after you can be sure that every other
package has moved to testing) we should think about the role of
Debian-Med first.  Currently it is used by very view users (med-common
is listed at rang 14374 with 34 installations az
  http://popcon.debian.org/main/by_inst
med-bio follwos at rang 18492 with 13 installations).  While this
is significantly more than nothing the numbers do not really
justify to ask release manager for extra work.  I see it this
way: If you start bothering people doing some extra work with
not so important stuff they might be peeved the next time (once
we have risen to more importance) and think: Oh shit these stupid
Debian-Med folks are asking over and over again for extra work for
their unimportant stuff.  I'm bored by these people.

My plan is to not only bother the release team but even the
installer team for the Etch+1 release.  I hope that Custom
Debian Distributions in general will raise to a state that
a user will be asked at installation time which Custom Debian
Distribution he wants to install (in the tasksel state).  This
would really bring a new focus to CDD in general in Debian-Med
in the special case.  But to do this we have to rise up a little
bit more.  We are not really bad but I think that we3 have to be
better and perhaps we then should reach version 1.x to go
for this goal.  I do not think that this is only regarding the
included software but also some other features that are
lacking currently for instance the use of DebTags, better
documentation etc.

So I hope I was able to convince you that there is currently
no need to hurry up.  Even if you are technical right I would
hesitate for strategical reason to do what is technical OK.