Re: Package status in Debian-med website

Le Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 10:29:02PM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Michael Hanke wrote:
> >	dinifti - Debian package not available
> >
> >This should be updated as dinifti aka dicomnifti is in unstable.

> Perhaps we should write some kind of "codex" for developers of
> Debian-Med related packages.  After they notice that one of
> their packages hit testing they should make sure that two
> people will be informed:
>
>      1. The person who cares for Debian-Med web site
>
>      2. The maintainer of the debian-med source package

> Apropos up to date:  The latest Debian-Med news is older than one
> year which makes not a really good impression. So we might be able
> to add a news item featuring
>
>    * Debian-Med 0.12 released and this will probably be the
>      version that will go into Etch.  (I do not plan to issue
>      a further version because we are in the freeze phase - so
>      dinifti will not be included, sorry.)

Dear all,

I have submitted patches to Tobias in the past, but I dedicate most of
my pre-freeze time to QA-style work. Therefore, the microbio.wml is not
up do date neither. I can update imaging.wml as well when I will do this
work, after the official freeze.

As Andreas said, we did not communicate on our recent work. The release
will be the prefect moment for advertising our improvements. Maybe we
could write separately entries for the Debian-Med news, and use them to
write a nice summary for the Etch release ?

The above two points are direct TODOs for the Etch+1 debian-med. If you
like the idea, I propose that we set release goals for the next cycle.
So for the moment, we would have :

* Keep in sync the metapackages and the web site.

* Communicate more regularly to our usres.

The second point is not really technical, but the first point has been
discussed a few times in the past. I had a quick look as the sources of
the metapackage, and it should not be too difficult to write a webpage
generator from them. I think that it would be a very useful tool, which
we could expand. For instance, we could also generate
developper-oriented pages which allow to track upstream versions and
check the number of installations. Here is an example, made by hand. The
gool would be to autogenerate such pages.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedBio (see the popularity and technical
summary links)

This made me realise that most packages here have no watch file. We
could add a third release goal:

* Submit a working watch file to Debian-Med packages whenever possible.

As you see, these release goals are not very time-consuming. They should
not stop us from broadening our coverage of the free medical and
biological packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy