Translate a package description!

Hi people!

To answer Charles Plessy's question [1] and also to inform the rest of
the list that don't read the debian-devel mailing list.
There is a new feature of apt (available on experimental right now):
package descriptions available in all languages! [2]
Well, not every package is already translated in every language, but
we can help to reach this goal.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg01376.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg01323.html

Q: How can I translated a Debian package into my language?
A: You can get a description template from [3].

[3] http://ddtp.debian.net/

- Search for the package that you want to translate (using the letters
on the top of the page);
- Click on the number below the package name. For example:

med-bio
9942: sid 2005-07-16...2006-07-31; etch 2005-07-16...2006-07-31;

The "9942" is a link [4].

[4] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9942

- Select the template of your language clicking on the "blue pen and
paper" icon. It will open something like this:

# Source: debian-med
# Package: med-bio
# This Description is active
# Prioritize: 40
This meta package will install micro-biology related Debian packages
for use in medical research.
Description-language: <trans>
<trans>

# other Descriptions of the med-bio package with a translation in cs:
#

- Copy and paste this template inside a text editor and translate the
texts that are indicated by "<trans>"';
- After everything is translated, save the file (with any name) and
send this file (attached) to <pdesc@ddtp.debian.net>

That is it! You have translated one description!

Q: There are a lot of packages. Where do I start?
A: You can start with the easier ones: med-bio [4], med-bio-dev [5],
med-cms [6], med-common [7], med-dent [8], med-imaging [9],
med-imaging-dev [10], med-pharmacy [11], med-physics [12],
med-practice [13] and med-tools [14].
They are very important and they all have small texts to be translated.

[5] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9943
[6] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9944
[7] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9945
[8] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9946
[9] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9948
[10] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9949
[11] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9950
[12] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9951
[13] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=18747
[14] http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=9952

After translating them, you can keep translating the other packages that we use.
For example, an "apt-cache depends med-bio" will show a lot of
packages that we can translate.

Q: But the package description is already translated into my language...
A: You can verify if it's translated correctly. If it's not, you can
modify and send the new translation. Also, if all the packages of
Debian-Med are already translated and verified, you can start
translating other packages of Debian! :-)

If you have any doubt when translating some terms or if you want to
coordinate the translations, you can use the debian-l10n lists [15].
The localized lists are available in many languages and their goal is
to help in getting Debian translated in other languages.

[15] http://lists.debian.org/i18n.html

(Generally I am not very good at explaining things, so if there are
doubts about this just ask, please!)

All the best,
Nelson