Re: Raster3D

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

I think so as well.  You might think about three packages

    raster3d, raster3d-common (or raster-data according to your preferences
    for a name) and raster3d-doc

Right. 3 packages now. raster3d, raster3d-data and raster3d-doc.
But raster3d-data is only 9570 bytes (yes, really small). I don't know
if it's OK with such small packages.
Hmmmm, I do not really know the program.  There is a lot of HTML files under
    /usr/share/raster3d/html
My first advise was to build a data package because I thought these files
would be needed by an internal help system perhaps.  That's why I suggested
a data package.  If it is pure documentation and not needed at runtime you
should move these files to
    /usr/share/doc/raster3d/html
This is the place where Debian documentation tools are looking for documentation.
Apropos documentation tools: You should also care for a doc-base file.  For an
example see my fastdnaml package for instance.

The same is valid for the files in /usr/share/raster3d/examples: If they are
not needed at runtime they should be moved to /usr/share/doc/raster3d examples.
The best practice for packaging is to use dh_examples and list these files
in debian/raster3d-doc.examples.

Once this is done the common data file seem so small that an extra package does
not really make sense.  The advise of Michael and me was just based on the wrong
assumption that the stuff under /usr/share/raster3d is allways needed at runtime.

I have also installed two programs to /usr/lib/raster3d/<program>.real
as people from #debian-devel said.
It was needed because those 2 programs need an environment variable
R3D_LIB set to /usr/share/raster3d/materials/
The /usr/bin/ binaries are a wrapper to <program>.real
This is absolutely common and well done in this case.

Removed. I won't put a symlink because if a user install just
raster3d-doc package, he will get broken links. I don't know who will
install only the doc package, but who knows... :-)
This is correct.  My advise from was based on the idea that you have a
strong depends between binary and data package which makes no sense as
mentioned above.  In this case you need extra directories.  Any other
thing would be catched by lintian.

I have a question about my package:
There are 2 bash scripts (installed under /usr/bin/) on raster3d
package. Do I move they to raster3d-data, since raster3d-data is arch
independent?
No - as I said, just move the tiny files from data back to the binary
package.

I had another question but I forgot... :-(
Just come back once you remember again. ;-)