Packaging of FSL for Debian [Update]

Hi, again!

It took some time, but I managed to figure out what is really needed from the
source tarball and compiled it. I ran the test-suit provided by the upstream
authors and everything went fine. So far, so good.

Now for the nasty things:  --> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

FSL heavily relies on environment variables. Under many others there is the
main FSLDIR var. Almost all binaries and scripts assume the following layout:

FSLDIR
+-- etc (some config files, some medical imaging data,some scripts)
+-- bin (all binaries and shell scripts)
+-- tcl (all UI files)

Now some questions and statements:
1. In my oppinion FSLDIR has to be set to '/usr' and all references to
FSLDIR/etc in the sources have to be 'patched away'. Because there is
no /usr/etc
2. Should all TCL files go to /usr/lib/fsl ?
3. There is a config script 'fsl.sh' that is required to be sourced before you
can use FSL. How am I supposed to handle that? Include its content
in /etc/profile?
4. I would put the medical imaging data to /usr/share/fsl

I guess this is not the end of my problems, but these are all issues I
discovered so far.

I would appreciate your help.

Ciao,

Michael

PS: I did not have the package online, as it is a pretty big one and my
problems seem to be in a conceptual rather than a concrete state.