Re: Debtags for medical issues

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Steffen Moeller wrote:

There may be problem here. In Andreas' CDD bioinformatics is a subfield
of biology/microbiology. That is fine, so it is all within medicine. The
problem is the distinction between medically motivated activities and
other that are mere of an organisational necessity or biological. Some
bioinformatics reserach is actually done in medical informatics, other
from within genetics laboratories, and yet others from clinical research
institutes. It is a very thin line here. I am not certain if this
distinction should be made on a higher level. And should it be
field::medicine::biology or rather field::biology::medicine? The latter
would make no sense in the way the CDD is currently been set up.
Well, DebTags are currently not really related to a CDD.  So it can also be
vice-versa as you suggested.  It is a question which should be discussed
at the DebTags list as Enrico suggested.  IMHO the tagging just depends
from your point of view.  If we talk about Books we have to decide in which
shelf (Biology or Medicine) we have to put the book.  But if we talk about
a software package I see no problem in tagging it for both categories.
The sense behind DebTags is that user should find a piece of software.
To let all users find the packages of their interest, they need both fields.
(I hope that I understood the tagging principle right.)

A field::bioinformatics I would not mind to see, a subfield
field::medicine::bioinformatics, either as an alternative to
medicine::biology, would also make sense to me and would cater more
easily to adapt that to the evolving ontologies of bioinformatics tools
and services within the MyGrid.org.uk and BioMoby.org communities. I do
not think that Debian should address this alone. It would help the
Debian distribution to share such software specification with the
respective communities. Andreas, please consider to mention the tags in
Utrecht, as it is a real hot topic, indeed!!
You noticed that I'm *back* from Utricht, right. ;-)
I wanted to give you a quick report, but I had some time constraints ...

Programs designed to aid the analysis of biological processes with data
provided through genetic labs
   r-cran-qtl - linkage analysis for polygenic diseases
ok, it would also get a tag for bioinformatics.
Dicom comprises standards for the exchange of medical data between
machines. Raster, yes, also.
So now we dive into some field of library science ...