Re: Biology packages in FreeBSD

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Michael Banck wrote:

I think I've seen an ITP for chemeq or even .debs somewhere, not sure
whether it is in the archive.

'babel' is not Free Software, however, the openbabel package is a mostly
drop-in replacement.

(same [not being Free Software] applied to other items on the list; I'd
be cautious to just include them as-is, I guess the FreeBSD guys are
just linking to upstream tarballs and provide build scripts, it might be
up to the user to decide whether the licensing is appropriate for them)
Thanks for these hints.

xdrawchem
There is a Debian package of it and we just have to discuss, whether this is
a target for med-bio or not.

What is the scope of med-bio, anyway?
Well, I'm working in a medical institute where people working on gene and
protein sequences.  So programs which are dealing with this are per definition
also interesting for medical stuff.

Once I had kind of a flamish mail (in privat or at list - I do not remember)
that I should leave out the biology stuff from Debain-Med and give room
for Debian-Bio.  My answer was: Start Debian-Bio first and I would leave this
stuff out immediately.  The situation did not changed until now (and there
was no response that somebody would start a Debian-Bio project).

So my intention is to support medical stuff with *all* things they need.
The name of the project doesn't matter.