Re: VetTux Free and Open Source?

Hi,

find the VetTux author's reply and my answer to him below.
Since he didn't object, I guess it is o.k. to forward his mail.

It may be worth noting that VetTux seems to be the (commercial)
successor of the FreeVet project.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Ross,

thanks for your reply!
Would you mind me forwarding it to the Debian-Med list?

I understand your disappointment. Many users forget that we sacrifice
a lot of spare time, energy, family life, health ... for developing
our FLOSS projects.

I will not try to convince you, but perhaps you try to see it following:
- you are the project founder/ main developer, so you can decide what
  to develop next in your software, possibly for your own usage
- criticism from users can point out weaknesses and sometimes even
  deliver good ideas for improvement of your software
- if some users start to put you or your software down, they are unfair
  and you are free to ignore them (I understand that this is difficult)
- special wishes from users could be implemented faster, if they pay you
- you cannot avoid others earning money with services around your software
- perhaps you could try to focus on servicing *real* end-users (doctors)
  yourself, earning a living by that; you then always know what your
  end-users want and can implement it first
- if other firms earn with your software, they should either:
  - pay you
  - contribute to your project (development, documentation etc.)
  - not expect help from you for free, while they earn money
- otherwise, you are free to ignore their requests for help
- better focus on those end-users who give positive feedback and
  really try to improve your software with their criticism
- such feedback can be very precious and commercial companies often
  do not get it so much

Just some thoughts of mine.
But I really do understand your point of view and I should not try to
teach you otherwise, because I do not have to live from my software.
However, perhaps one day, you find a good chance to reopen your software.

Best Regards,
Christian