Re: Help packaging M[UMPS] and OpenVistA?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Edward Cherlin wrote:

I have just started writing documents for the OpenVistA project
at SourceForge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/openvista/. It
consists of GT.M, a Free (GPL) version of M (aka MUMPS
[Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multiprogramming
System]), and a massive hospital information system built on it,
also under GPL. OpenVistA was created from the US Veterans
Administration hospital software under the Freedom of
Information Act.
I definitely support your plan to package these applications because
they are on the todo list of Debian-Med

   http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/his#vista

and I would have started it myself if I would have the time for this.

I would like someone to take a look and tell me what we need to
do to get this packaged up, as a separate language and as a
complete system.
Let me check your skills in Debian packaging first (to avoid telling
you things you just know).  Did you checked the developers reference
especially

   http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-newpackage    ?

Perhaps some people around might give you a hint what to read first about
packaging?  I personally give dh_make a chance to get a rough skeleton
for packaging.  My personal favourite for building a package is debuild
because it also calls lintian (the Debian syntax checker) after finishing
building the packages.  In general the most work will be done in the
debian/rules file which is kind of a makefile which installs your
software in a temporary directory.  If you are able to install a package
from source you are able to build a Debian package.  Feel free to ask
me if you need further guidance.

I also need help to find out how to create a
syntax coloring mode for MUMPS in various text editors.
Sorry - I have no idea about this.  It might be different for different
editors.  If I were you I would start with templates from other languages
I know and would try to adopt this.

You can count on my help in your packaging effort