Re: Some suggestions for the homepage

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Steffen Moeller wrote:

Both transmembrane topology presenters do have TOPO as part of Matt
Hope's EMBOSS packages from bioinformatics.debian.net as a functional
alternative. Garlic is unique in its presentation of beta-sheet outer
membrane proteins of pathogens, though, which is a point. However, they
have a web interface and hence the urge to include it with the main
distribution is not too eminent, in my point of view.

Both would be nice to have, though imho we'd tend to drive
towards a list of all possible Bioinformatics packages if we cater too
much for completeness of packages rather than a completeness of
functionality. If we could increase the number of developers for
Bioinformatics, then this would be less of an issue.
I trust you as an expert here.  But we should explain this explicitely
in the package description on our web site to inform our users about
this point of view.

I agree that the exceptional status of superseeded applications should
be explicitly stated in the description. However, this does not speak
against utilities like Rasmol, really, which (who knows better than
you) is scripted from many tools and is kind of a classic. I still think
that Rasmol is something a novice should make the aquaintance with,
otherwise one should consider to remove it from the distribution.
Having the source in the distribution enables future developers to
continue development.  This is a good point to keep it.

How would you think about entries from Debian Med to ITPs or RFPs?
I discussed this with Tobias (open or in private - I do not remember) and
we decided to do this.  It's just a problem of man power because I completely
stopped caring for the web pages and Tobias took this job over, or rather
made an even better job than me.  I guess he would be happy about people
who might join his effort.

I just added an ITP to MUSCLE, a sequence alignment program, it is
on the rise and should be added. http://www.drive5.com/muscle/
Maybe an [RT]TP is a good hurdle to overcome for an inclusion with the
home page as the suggestion is associated with a name besides Tobias and
Andreas filtering these.
Definitely.