Re: protein-database

richard.wonka@altanapharma.de schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I found out that schroedinger software supplies a script to update ones pdb-collection here:
>
> http://www.schrodinger.com/Support/Prime/thirdpartydatabases.html
>
> maybe this is worth a package or an entry in debian-med/drugdb ?

Personally, I doubt that this is worth a package.

- It's just a simple shell script, nothing of great usefulness

- It is especially taylored to update the PDB for Schrödinger's "Prime"
  software, which is a proprietary, non-free software. Most of the
  things it does are related to Prime integration, the update part
  itself is just a simple call to rsync.

  Therefore, adapting it to a free database (or simply writing a nice
  free supplement which does not assume a given local database
  structure) would nearly be the same as starting from scratch.

- Finally, given the license of Prime itself, I doubt that this script
  has a free license (assuming that such a small piece of code is
  copyrightable at all).

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster