Re: REMITT in Debian, Re: Debian packaging for FreeMED and REMITT

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:42:37 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Andrew Ho wrote:

-- SNIP --

> >  I bring this up because REMITT and FreeB have the potential to be widely
> > used and incorportated in many free EMR in the future. Usig MPL may impede
> > incorporation of REMITT into official Debian
> There is no reason to exclude any MPL licensed programs from Debian because
> the MPL itself is free.
>
> > and it could turn out that we
> > need to continue to use and develop FreeB because of the license
> > difference.
> It might just influence other programs that would like to use REMITT but
> are not allowed to do so - but this has nothing to do with Debian.

REMITT is a separate server, and the process of integration with a
PM/EMR system does not involve any code from the REMITT code base. In
fact, the reference implementation which exists in FreeMED is licensed
under the GPL, much like the rest of FreeMED. In theory, due to the
separate nature of the REMITT server, any project with *any* license
could implement the REMITT interface; it uses XML-RPC for
communication and is therefore programming language agnostic.

--
Thanks,
Jeff