Re: Graphical EEG-mapping software (Package built, Legal Suggestions)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Roland Marcus Rutschmann wrote:

> I found a new very promissing software for graphical mapping of EEG at
> http://tempo.sourceforge.net/
>
> I contacted the author and filed an ITP. Preliminary debian packages at:
> http://neuro.psychologie.uni-oldenburg.de/debian/dists/unstable/main/
Good job (said without checking the packages because I personally have no
use for it - but detecting something and reacting immediately is great)!

> I have to problems with it.
> GNOME Prob.:
> The original package puts it's help in /usr/share/tempo/gnome/help/tempo
> while debian wants it in
> /usr/share/gnome/help/tempo
> Just moving it would probably be a problem with the omf file. It's probably
> not a big thing but as I do not use gnome I have some problem with it. Any
> suggestions?
What about a simple symlink.  This would do no harm but should prevent
any breakage.

> LEGAL problem:
> The software is totally under GPL but ships with a graphical head-model that
> is confined to the use with tempo itself.
If I were you I would forward this question to debian-legal (and ask
for CCing).

> Is there any other possibility than bringing it into non-free? (If there isn't
> I think this is an excellent example why non-free should be kept).
Well, I think there are reasons enough to keep non-free. ;-)