DICOM pixel data with medcon

Greetings,

I am trying to extract pixel data out of DICOM image
files (CT and PET) for further analysis. Currently,
I am using medcon to get the pixel values and pipe
it's output into a filter program. Unfortunately,
the `-p' option of medcon invokes an interactive
routine, which requires some user input for image
number, pixel range, etc. I have worked around that
by using something like

echo '1
1

' | medcon -p -f "$1" | ...

which is - in one word - ugly! Is there a cleaner
way to this with medcon. Or can someone recommend
another tool for extracting DICOM pixel values,
which is more suitable for scripting.

Thanks in advance.

Regards - Juergen