Veterinary management software

Hello everybody !

I tried to read all the stuff I could find about a free/GNU/GPL or open source
software that could help managing a veterinary practice. The only one I could
find is FreeVet, but the project seems to be over (in fact, it seems to have
become a commercial project in South Africa).

Well, my aim is to build or develop a GPL/GNU application that runs on
different platforms (Linux, windows why not ?).
As far as I could get some piece of information by the WWW, I think that a
good way to achieve this goal could be to use a database basis (PostgreSQL
or, more simple, SQLite) with a GUI made  with Tcl/Tk in order to make it
easily portable on different platforms.
What do you think of these options ?
The fact is that I have not a programming experience and I need some advice in
the choice of the elements/tools to achieve this project. SQLite seems to be
powerful enough to store all data we need in a veterinary practice and it has
by itself an a Tcl way to use SQL commands (if I understood well the docs).

It will be nice to read from you and have some piece of advice.

Dr Pierre DELGOVE, DVM.