Re: [ANNOUNCE] Insight Toolkit 1.2 for Debian (unofficial)

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 16:11, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2003, Gavin Baker wrote:
>
> > Unofficial Debian packages are now available for:
> >
> > -= The Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit (ITK) =-
> Thanks for supporting Debian-Med!

I'm very glad to bring ITK to Debian, and I hope it will prove a
valuable addition to the project.

> >     - The Visualisation Toolkit (VTK) - http://www.vtk.org/
> Which is just packaged for Debian:
>               apt-cache search vtk

Yes, I should have mentioned the package names as well... I will update
the web pages appropriately.  I should have also mentioned that it is
built against unstable, so is not available for woody.

> >     - VisPack - http://rolle.engr.utk.edu/~vision/vispack/
> >     - 3dViewnix - http://mipgsun.mipg.upenn.edu/~Vnews/
> Would you suggest to ask for packaging of these both?  Could you file
> a RFP bug if the answer is 'yes'?

I haven't used them, so I can't say.  If I get some spare time I will
have a look.  I use VTK for all my viz work, and it is excellent.
(Although it's a great shame that the patent for marching cubes keeps
that algo out of main.)

SkullyDoo is

> >     - The Gimp Toolkit (Gtk+) - http://www.gtk.org/
> >     - The Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK) - http://www.fltk.org/
> >     - The Q Toolkit (Qt) - http://www.qtk.org/
> All this is available for Debian.

Again, I will update the text with the package names and links.

> > Currently the packages are unofficial (ie. not a part of Debian).  Soon
> > the packages will be included in Debian main,
> Did you found a sponsor yet?

Not yet; I was probably going to ask the VTK maintainer, as ITK is quite
closely related.  Once I get the first set of packages out there, I will
take this next step.  I also plan to apply for DD soon.

> > and incorporated into the Debian-Med project.
> Would you suggest that med-imaging and med-imaging-dev are the right
> meta packages?

That seems fine.

> I found the binary packages including *.diff.gz and *.dsc in the binary section.
> Unfortunately the source directory (where *.diff.gz and *.dsc would belong to)
> is empty and so I'm not able to compile the package from source.  This is perhaps
> a problem of mentors.debian.net.

Ooops - my mistake, sorry.  I didn't upload the original source at the
same time because the link has been quite slow, and I was trying to
upload the (rather large) packages.  I will do that in the next updates,
and make sure it is all there.

It would be nice to try it building on different architectures too.  I
have successfully used ITK at uni on Solaris, and it works fine.  I
presume once it hits main, it will get autobuilt on the other
architectures?

  :: gavin

--
Gavin Baker // gavinb*antonym_org // Linux|Python|Esperanto|MIDI|Cheese