[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: ANNOUNCE: usfda-ndc-drug-info v0.4

On 12 May 2003, Elizabeth Barham wrote:

> 	* a manual page
> 	* a binary Debian package
Thanks for caring for the Debian package!

>    The source and debian packages are available at:
> 	http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=77925
Some hints here.

You just provided a *.dsc and a *.diff.gz file to enable building
the Debian package from source.  This intention is right but you are
missing the file usfda-ndc-drug-info_0.4a.orig.tar.gz which is mentioned
in the *.dsc file.  Normally it would be sufficient to do a

  ln -s usfda-ndc-drug-info-0.4a.tar.gz usfda-ndc-drug-info_0.4a.orig.tar.gz

at least it is the sense to provide a identical copy of the original
source file in the orig.tar.gz file.  But I tried this and the orig.tar.gz
file seemed to be different because

  ~> dpkg-source -x usfda-ndc-drug-info_0.4a-3.dsc
  dpkg-source: error: file usfda-ndc-drug-info_0.4a.orig.tar.gz has size 2143315 instead of expected 2143507

But I did not give up this far.  I just "hacked" your *.dsc file to match
md5sum and size of the other tar.gz file and was able to unpack the source now.

Here are my hints to the packaging:

  0) You do not need to provide a file named
     at sourceforge but you should definitely make sure that your build
     is done with an absolute identical source file.  Just use the symbolic
     link as I did above.

  1) Reading your changelog I suspect the reason:

     usfda-ndc-drug-info (0.4a-3) unstable; urgency=low

       * Updated to new minor release.

      -- Elizabeth Barham <lizzy@soggytrousers.net>  Mon, 12 May 2003 22:18:55 -0500

     This is WRONG.  A valid changelog entry would be:

     usfda-ndc-drug-info (0.4a-1) unstable; urgency=low
                               ^ THIS IS IMPORTANT

	* New upstream release.
          (Well this is not *really* necessary, but the usual phrase.  It does
           not matter how small the upstream change is.  It is just a new upstream
           source which should be provided in a new orig.tar.gz file and thus
           the <packageversion number should be 1.

   2) Regarding to some lintian warnigs.  You should always check your package
            lintian *.dsc *.deb
      If you do not know what the warnings and errors mean try "lintian -i"

   a) W: usfda-ndc-drug-info source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.5.2
      Well, just use
         Standards-Version: 3.5.9
   b) E: usfda-ndc-drug-info source: build-depends-without-arch-dep
      This is a very interesting case which is caused by the hint I gave
      you to compile the tools to build the package.  We definitely should
      discuss this topic on debian-devel.  In my opinion the lintian warning
      is right in general but wrong for your package.  I have currently no
      idea how to solve this.
   c) W: usfda-ndc-drug-info: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
      Simple thing: Just remove the full stop "." character in the end of the
      short description.  This is for some reason expressed in the policy.
      Check "lintian -i" for a longer description.
   d) W: usfda-ndc-drug-info: copyright-lists-upstream-authors-with-dh_make-boilerplate
      Also simple: If you are the "only author" than please use
        Upstream Author: Elizabeth Barham <lizzy@soggytrousers.net>
      (Remove the "(s)" from boilerplate.)
   e) W: usfda-ndc-drug-info: postinst-should-not-set-usr-doc-link
      This is because you seem to build with older build devscripts and I
      use a newer lintian.  Nothing to do here, because debhelper cares
      for the issue right. I'm working on an up to date testing system.

   -> In general this are a very view simple things so far with exception of
      2b) which has to be discussed:

I tried to apply the changes and to recompile the package

checking for libxml - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run libxml test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means LIBXML was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved LIBXML since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the xml2-config script: /usr/bin/xml2-config
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for tr... tr
checking for cat... cat
configure: error: could not link against db3

Obviousely there are build problems I can not solve currently.  I have collected
the things I would change in the debian dir and all files from the build run
which were created on my machine in the archive


Just have a lock into config.log to track down the build problems.  Feel
free to ask further questions to solve the problem.

Kind regards and thanks for your fine work


Reply to: