[Fwd: Re: DRG grouper]

(I had meant to post this to the entire list, but inadvertently sent it only to Andreas -- so here it is, with my apologies. ...hj)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: DRG grouper
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:21:19 -0500
From: HJ Schmidt <hschmidt@tringa.com>
To: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>

The following definition from "Slee's  Health Care Terms" (4th ed). (a reference work for
*non-clinical* US health care terminology).

GROUPER:
A specific computer program (logic) by which patient bills under Medicare are classified to
their DRGs, using the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS) (see under data set) which
contains diagnoses and procedures coded to ICD-9-CM along with other standardized information
about the patient. This program is also used for other types of care, such as HIPPS codes for
home health care.

"inside contact" with the publisher (tringa.com) %-)

p.s. HCTonline.net runs on Debian potato!!   ...hj