Re: Installing VistA

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 00:12, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2003, Tim Churches wrote:
>
> > However, both GT.M and VistA sit pretty lightly on the underlying
> > operating system - basically everything seems to be contained under one
> > subdirectory for GT.M (/usr/local/gtm) and another for VistA
> > (/usr/local/vista_gtm), plus a few environment variables.
> I can't see a reason why this should not go into /usr/{lib,share}/{gtm,vista}
> and these environment variables to /etc/{gtm,vista}.conf

Yes, they could go there. Sorry, I haven't caught up with all these LSB
conventions yet.

> > So, if you can
> > find an already-configured VistA demo system, then it would seem
> > feasible to just create a tarball for each of those two subdirectories.
> > Untarring those on a target system and setting the environment variables
> > would be all that is required to bring up a configured demo system.
> So why not take all configuration stuff of this system an use these
> values as default.  I really hope that the configuration stuff is not
> hidden anywhere under /usr/local/*.  Damn, configuration belongs to /etc ... :)

A HardHat or someone can correct me here, but my understanding is that
all the significant configuration information is stored _inside_ MUMPS
databases, not in Unix-style plain text configuration files. So
configuration has to be done through MUMPS, not external to it.

Tim C