Re: Installing VistA

> I really can't imagine that there exist no set of default values for
> any program to get at least demo functionality.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

> I can't see a reason why this should not go into /usr/{lib,share}/{gtm,vista}
> and these environment variables to /etc/{gtm,vista}.conf
Have you really taken a look yet ?

> > would be all that is required to bring up a configured demo system.
> So why not take all configuration stuff of this system an use these
> values as default.  I really hope that the configuration stuff is not
> hidden anywhere under /usr/local/*.  Damn, configuration belongs to /etc ... :)
Well, PDP(11) et al somewhat predates Linux/Debian. I'd rather tread
lightly on religious issues...  I'll bet the config location
is hardcoded deeply inside some obscure module which, however,
will inevitable get invoked by your first large-scale
customer. Also, 10 years from now people will say "Why the h*
did they not save config information in the Right Place
(cfg://host.config.global.net/user/app/user/*) ?!?" So they go
out and change GnuMed to take advantage of that. And I'll bet
you there's "/etc/gnumed/" going to be hardcoded somewhere far
far inside.

Regards,
Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346