Re: knoppix-med: cant get past login screen

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > I can't speak to your rationale for depending on "low level stuff".
> > However, I have not encountered any reason to do so and can think of many
> > reasons why it is a terrible idea.
> If so please explain how to do notify/listen via
> db-api 2.0. Thanks.

Hi Karsten,

  Notify and listen are not standard SQL (e.g. SQL92). Therefore, I think
it is a terrible idea to use it - if you care about using GnuMed with a
different database backend.
  It is a trade-off between convenience/performance(?) and flexability to
use notify/listen vs. implementing the same in GnuMed. I tend to think
flexibility is more important. :-)

Best regards,

Andrew
---