Re: some remarcs to your project debian-med

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Rune Linding - EMBL Biocomputing Unit wrote:

> well whatever :) i think that software that 'does'
> biocomputing/informactics but are used 'for' whatever still belongs in
> the category of 'what the software actually does' like apache is a
> in 'webserver' even if its used by a lawyer :)
Seems to be some misunderstanding at your site.  Just have a look at
the Debian-Junior project:  There are metapackages for instance
    junior-internet - Debian Jr. Internet tools
    junior-gnome - Debian Jr. for Gnome
    junior-kde - Debian Jr. for KDE
which depend on some suggested browsers, Gnome/KDE tools which the
authors seem to be good/best for childrens work.  If they would think
that there would be some biocomputing sofware which is relevant for
children it would be also included into Debian-Junior ;-).

The goal is to provide a platform which satisfies all needs of the
target user and so a project Debian-Justice (or something else) could
perfectly provide a metapackage

    justice-webserver

which installs all software which Debian maintainers consider to be
useful for a lawyers webserver (for instance apache).  The same applies
for Debian-Med.  For instance some packages like med-email-server and
med-email-client where discussed.  In this sense I don't see any
problem to provide med-bioinformatics metapackage.

This is absolutely not related to the section of the whole Debian
system is sorting those software in.  I think it is in science
currently.  I'm not sure if there will ever be a section medicine.
If this will be really implemented (I see no real relevance just
there are the metapackages) I think that bioinformatics stuff does
*not* belong to this section.  I think this is what you mean.

> > > most are not dead but in 'bug fixing only' phase....and i dont mind they
> > But "bug fixing only" should not mean that the authors do not reply
> > to questions or bug reports.  :-(
> that means no bugs? :P

   http://bugs.debian.org/treetool :

    * #66190: treetool crashes
      Package: treetool; Reported by: Kerstin Hoef-Emden <Kerstin.Hoef-Emden@Uni-Koeln.DE>; 1 year and 221 days old.

:-(((

> > Sometimes it is hard to convince people to avoid broken licenses.
> > This is one hard part for Debian-Med and Debian-Bio.
> we just have to use our influence on the community :)
Yes.

> so i take it you want to be on the biodebs list? or.. :)
Feel free to send me a text with URL to include at the Debian-Med
pages to just clarify the issues.