Re: freeimage and CVE-2019-12214

Hi Cyrille

See below.

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 at 10:44, Cyrille Bollu <cyrille@bollu.be> wrote:

> >Thank you! Do you mean that freeimage copy in those files during the
> >build process?
>
> If you download the tarball at
> https://freeimage.sourceforge.io/download.html you'll find that the,
> once unzipped, it contains a 'Source/LibOpenJPEG' folder that contains
> about the same files as
> https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/tree/master/src/lib/openjp2,
> though older.

I see. The thing is that if you take the buster version that is not the case.

ola@buster-lts:~/build/freeimage-3.18.0+ds2$ ls Source/LibOpenJPEG
ls: cannot access 'Source/LibOpenJPEG': No such file or directory

ola@buster-lts:~/build/freeimage-3.18.0+ds2$ find | grep -i open
./Examples/OpenGL
./Examples/OpenGL/TextureManager
./Examples/OpenGL/TextureManager/readme.txt
./Examples/OpenGL/TextureManager/TextureManager.h
./Examples/OpenGL/TextureManager/TextureManager.cpp
ola@buster-lts:~/build/freeimage-3.18.0+ds2$ find | grep -i jpeg
./Wrapper/FreeImage.NET/cs/Library/Enumerations/FREE_IMAGE_JPEG_OPERATION.cs
./.pc/Disable-testing-of-JPEG-transform.patch
./.pc/Disable-testing-of-JPEG-transform.patch/TestAPI
./.pc/Disable-testing-of-JPEG-transform.patch/TestAPI/testJPEG.cpp
./.pc/Disable-vendored-dependencies.patch/Source/FreeImage/PluginJPEG.cpp
./debian/patches/Disable-testing-of-JPEG-transform.patch
./Source/FreeImage/PluginJPEG.cpp
./TestAPI/testJPEG.cpp

> So, I guess they've copied them manually, even before the build.

Looks so, but not in the buster version.

> >If you could update the notes for this CVE it would be nice. I
> >started
> >but realized that I had more questions and then it is better if you
> >do
> >it who knows the answer.
>
> Ok, I'll crete a PR

Thank you.