[LTS meeting agenda item] LTS workflow updates

Hello everyone!

Prologue:

As the agenda for next week's LTS meeting is getting quite full (and the
meeting is via Jitsi), which will make managing the meeting already
challenging, I am starting a thread here on the list with a preliminary
discussion of an agenda item that I will be bringing up in the meeting.

Note that the objective with this thread is that everyone have an
opportunity to be made aware, to consider, and to respond/ask questions
concerning the proposed agenda item in advance of the meeting.

If your responses are suitable for a public ML, then please reply in
this thread and let's have the discussion here. If, for some reason,
your response would not be suitable or make sense on a public ML, then
hold your response/question for the meeting.

Agenda Item:

LTS workflow

- Create tickets to nag about missing LTS contributor monthly reports,
  or continue with direct emails?

  At present, when we are approaching the time for the LTS coordinator
  to prepare the monthly LTS report, notifications of missing individual
  contributor reports are sent via email. As we have moving more in the
  direction of managing via tickets rather than direct email (in order
  to facilitate better visbility of outstanding tasks and also to make
  it easier to share coordinator duties among multiple people), I have
  considered the possibility of switching missing report notifications
  to be tickets instead of direct emails.

  Would anyone have an objection to this or perhaps a reason why
  continuing with direct emails would be the better choice?

- Thoughts about criteria for LTS contributor monthly reports

  Our monthly individual contributor reports are not required to adhere
  to any specific criteria or follow any particular format. One of the
  challenges this creates is that it makes the task of drafting the LTS
  monthly report more difficult (because potentially interesting items
  that have been accomplished may not come across in some of the very
  brief reports which some contributors submit). I am considering
  whether it would be beneficial to establish some loose criteria (and
  associated examples) for a report format which would be a more useful
  input to the LTS montly report process.

  Are there any suggestions of things which should be specifically
  included or excluded? Are there any concerns about the types of things
  that, if included, would be burdensome without sufficient associated
  benefit?

- Starting to experiment with issue based workflow, example:
  https://salsa.debian.org/lts-team/lts-updates-tasks/-/issues/28

  Is mentioned in the first point above, we have been moving in the
  direction of utilizing tickets in order to better manage the various
  activities in the LTS and ELTS projects. We have recently begun to
  experiment with tickets for DLA/ELA package work as well, as with the
  example link given above. The overall discussion for the concept is at
  https://gitlab.com/freexian/services/deblts-team/debian-lts/-/issues/47 .
  This is being mentioned for the purpose of ensuring that everyone on
  the team is aware that this is happening. However, if you have worked
  on a package update being managed by one of these tickets and/or if
  you have comments/ideas/thoughts related to the experiment or the
  overall concept, please feel free to bring them up.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez