Re: Vulnerability in pcs or is it in more generic code?

On Mon, 2022-09-05 at 21:38 +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> I agree that it is good to fix the pcs package, but shouldn't we fix
> the default umask in general?
> I would argue that the default umask is insecure.

bookworm login sets new user home directories to secure permissions:

   $ grep -E 'HOME_MODE\s*[0-9]' /etc/login.defs
   #HOME_MODE	0700

This somewhat mitigates, but not completely, the umask being insecure:

   $ grep -E 'UMASK\s*[0-9]' /etc/login.defs
   UMASK		022

I can't find any bugs open about changing the default umask,
but it was mentioned in replies to the recent adduser thread:

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/YieJALY0ny0+07pw@torres.zugschlus.de

--
bye,
pabs