Re: [RFC] Proposal: Migrate LTS/TODO wiki page to GitLab issues

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 07:10:57AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Rationale: The nature of a wiki makes it suboptimal for managing
> > discrete work units.  As developers, we are all familiar with
> > interacting with the Debian BTS and other similar systems (e.g., Jira,
> > GitHub issues, etc.).  While the Debian BTS would be a natural first
> > choice, the best mechanism for grouping related issues that do not
> > belong to a single package is usertags.  However, there is currently not
> > a way to subscribe to usertags in order to receive notification of new
> > bugs created with the tag or of existing bugs which have the tag added
> > to them.
>
> How much is this an problem? I imagine it should be possible to create
> some sort of app that queries the issues with a tag (I assume gitlab has
> some sort of API for this) and automatically subscribes them.

The usertags to which I was referring are Debian BTS usertags.  For
GitLab, we should be able to rely on the fact that the issues are in the
same project and from there apply appropriate tags (as you suggest
below).

> > With that in mind, the creation of a new Salsa project for
> > grouping and managing these issues is the best choice given available
> > tooling.
>
> Note: it looks like I may not have access to lts-team. I see a "request
> access" link, which I will click. I mention this here only because it
> might affect others as well.

I will check into how that is to be handled.  Perhaps a bulk add of all
active LTS contributors, or something like that.

> > Objective: Remove all content from LTS/TODO which can reasonably be
> > captured in one or more GitLab Salsa issues.  Then, from this point
> > forward manage non-package-specific LTS tasks as issues within the
> > lts-team/lts-extra-tasks project.
> >
> > Please reply with any objections, concerns, comments, or suggestions.
>
> This sounds like a good idea to me.

Thanks :+1:

> Just need to come up with an appropriate list of tags to represent the
> status. e.g. if a particular TODO item is waiting on response from
> security team for example.

Regards,

-Roberto
--