[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Steps for Debian Jessie LTS end-of-life

On 01/07/2020 19:26, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Am 01.07.20 um 19:14 schrieb Ansgar:
>> On Wed, 2020-07-01 at 18:38 +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
>>> Am 01.07.20 um 11:27 schrieb Ansgar:
>>>> since LTS for Jessie has ended according to [1], can we disable uploads
>>>> and prepare for archiving the release?
>> [...]
>>> Please wait another week with the deactivation of jessie-security. This
>>> ensures that we can still upload the last packages which received
>>> security updates.
>> After a chat on IRC, it's currently already configured to no longer
>> accept new uploads. I think it's confusing to release security updates
>> after security support supposedly ended, but if the LTS team wants that
>> I can look at renabling it again.
>>> Ideally the switch to Stretch LTS goes hand in hand
>>> with the deactivation of jessie-security so we have no downtime at all.
>> Which downtime?  Stretch already has security support; with LTS it will
>> get /less/ support (only a limited set of architectures).  Anybody
>> wishing to use Stretch LTS later, can already use Stretch today with no
>> downsides.
> There are still packages which could be uploaded to jessie-security.
> Even today there were three uploads. It is more efficient if the LTS
> team can handle uploads by themselves. Now we can neither finish
> jessie-security updates nor can we upload to stretch-security directly.
> This is what I mean by downtime. Please re-enable jessie-security for now.

jessie ELTS is already open (because jessie LTS should not). Having both
receiving updates is actually more confusing, if you ask me.

That means that those updates (at least the ones that are supported on ELTS) can
still be uploaded there.

Perhaps it would have made sense to not EOL jessie until stretch had actually
become LTS. That could be something that we can think about for stretch,
although it doesn't sound like too big a deal, particularly since we're aiming
to do the stretch handover this weekend.


Reply to: