Re: improving https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development

I think it would be an improvement, yes.

// Ola

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 15:08, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
Hi Christoph,

I'm taking this to the lts list, as I think this deserves more peoples
thoughts:

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 04:56:43PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> As said elsewhere [...] I think part of the problem is
> that https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development is way too long. It
> shouldn't try to tell newcomers how to test packages etc, but just
> list the necessary steps required to a DLA. At the moment the "please
> also update webml" is hidden in a wall of text. And because the text
> is meant for newcomers, I'm not going to read it again for each
> upload.

I agree that page is too long, and that a shorter checklist would be
very nice to have. And then it just occurred to me that the table of content
on that page *is* that:

Contents:
3. Prepare security updates for LTS

  1.  Claim the issue in the security tracker (in dla-needed.txt)
  2.  Build the update
  3.  Test the update
  4.  Upload the update
  5.  Claim an DLA ID in DLA/list
  6.  Announce the update
  7.  Prepare an update for the website

Should we maybe put just this on a page called https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development/TLDR
which then people can look at when they occasionally do a DLA?

(and link to that TLDR page promininently from our other pages?)

do you think this would be an improvement? Do you have other ideas?

> (At the very least it could have a visible note at the top
> that says there was a recent change.)

I'm not sure this will help that much... a.) people miss these notes and
then b.) how long ago is 'recent'?

--
tschau,
        Holger