Re: more missing DLAs on the website

Am 02.04.19 um 14:16 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 12:55:31PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> Am 02.04.19 um 12:39 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
>>> Ideally we could then cron this out as Markus suggested.
>>
>> So far I had no problems with the parse script. I just download the html
>> file from the DLA announcement manually and then I use the script. The
>> idea to use a <pre> block would certainly simplify the parsing though.
>
> The script can be used directly on the DLA text/mail, btw (it's not
> based on the list archive, no need to download).

I use Thunderbird for emails and I found it simpler to manage it that
way but maybe the work flow has its merits for other MUAs.

> Also I remember fixing one of your DLAs before a webwml admin made an
> angry commit, the script is sometimes silently bogus.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 11:57:43AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 12:55:31PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
>>> First of all, thank you for your improvements on the parse script. I
>>> share your concerns about the usefulness of translating the security
>>> advisories.
>>
>> just because you/we understand English doesnt mean the whole world does.
>
> I'm sure everybody understands the importance of translation, I did
> quite a lot of i18n myself.  Just wondering its usefulness for DLAs.
>
> But I figured that translating the DLAs is a matter of priority for
> the translators, not us, so let's do the i18n on our side, and let the
> translators prioritize :)

[...]

I have worked on i18n too in the past. Nobody questions the importance
of translations in general but the target group for DLAs are system
administrators who will most likely be comfortable with reading an
advisory in English. As long as we have so many untranslated strings in
desktop applications, games or documentation, something the casual user
would use, it feels like the time could be spent elsewhere.

Markus