Re: DLAs not arriving at my mailbox and I think it may be a general issue

Hi

I can understand the view that gmail, yahoo and others are to blame for the lost message. It is after all that service that rejected it. I do however think we need to live with the fact that we may have users that tend to use such services. If it is just for me I can safely ignore the problem. These emails are not that valuable to me, really. The reason why I brought this up was to ensure that our users do not have the same problem.
If we conclude that this is not so important, then I can live with it.

I cannot tell for sure what the fault was with that email. I'm not even sure there were any specific fault with it. It may have been the rate of things arriving or some similar factor.

What I can tell is that lists.d.o do not follow gmail recommendations. And some of them are generally good to avoid spam and other stuff.

First of all the reverse address is not the same as the forward address:

ola@tigereye:~/git/security-tracker$ getent hosts 82.195.75.100
82.195.75.100   bendel.debian.org
ola@tigereye:~/git/security-tracker$ getent hosts bendel.debian.org
2001:41b8:202:deb:216:36ff:fe40:4002 bendel.debian.org

I guess bendel has both IPv4 and IPv6. The reason why it was using IPv4 this time was that my server do not have an IPv6 address. I guess this is quite common too even though IPv6 gets more and more common these days.

There is no SPF record for lists.debian.org. Should'nt we have that?

I guess these two problems above are a strong factor in this.

And then finally the from address vary. I can understand that it may not be the best to change that, but maybe we should have this as a per-list option.

Best regards

// Ola

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 22:54, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
On Sun, 03 Feb 2019, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> Hi Antoine and Alexander
>
> Alexander:
> So what should we do to prevent this from happening?
Don't use gmail or at least tell me what exactly was wrong on the mail.

> Antoine:
> Thank you for pointing that out.
>
> I found this in the BTS:
> Is this what you are referring to?
That one is about alioth and bugs. The list relevant bug was
https://bugs.debian.org/500965

Alex

/  ola@inguza.com                    Folkebogatan 26            \
|  opal@debian.org                   654 68 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /