Re: Assistance with building symfony for jessie

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 12:21:16PM +0530, Abhijith PA wrote:
> Hi Roberto
>
> On Sunday 13 January 2019 06:26 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been working on the LTS update for symfony and while I completed
> > the backports of all of the patches several weeks ago I have not managed
> > to get the package to build on jessie.  In particular, the build fails
> > because of the unit tests.
> >
> > To determine if any of my changes had anything to do with the unit test
> > failures I attempted to build the current version in jessie,
> > 2.3.21+dfsg-4+deb8u3.  That build attempt also failed.
> >
> > I tried several different approaches to building the package (version
> > 2.3.21+dfsg-4+deb8u3) using different versions of dependencies to see
> > some dependency update along the way triggered new failures.  Here are
> > the build attempts I made:
> >
> > - build in an updated jessie cowbuilder with gbp (FAIL)
> > - build in a jessie chroot using dpkg-buildpackage with dependencies at
> >   versions as they existed when version 2.3.21+dfsg-4+deb8u3 was
> >   uploaded on 10 May 2016 (FAIL)
> > - build in a jessie chroot using dpkg-buildpackage with dependencies at
> >   versions as they existed at the initial release of jessie (FAIL)
> > - build in a wheezy cowbuilder with gbp (FAIL, some dependencies do not
> >   exist in wheezy)
> > - build in a stretch cowbuilder with gbp (FAIL, some dependencies do not
> >   exist in stretch)
> >
> > Since symfony is arch:all, there are no buildd logs to consult.  As a
> > result, it would be helpful if one or two others out there could attempt
> > to build symfony 2.3.21+dfsg-4+deb8u3 and report on the result.  If the
> > build is successful, I would appreciate a copy of the build log.  Or,
> > perhaps, if you are able/willing to finish the update and perform the
> > upload, I can provide my patches.
>
> My build is also failing with around 20 unit test failures.
>
> --a

I was afraid of that.

I wonder what the best course of action is.  I had earlier communicated
with the maintainer about this.  That was several weeks ago.  At that
time he was travelling and had poor Internet access, but managed to run
a build...of the version in stretch.  I did want to further bother
someone who was travelling and without good Internet access, but since
it has been a few weeks, I have not been able to sort it out, and there
is now confirmation from someone else that the package does not build,
it seems time to ping the maintainer again.

I have copied him on this message.

David,

Do you think you could try your build again, but for the
2.3.21+dfsg-4+deb8u3 package in jessie?  I would very migh like to
resolve the build problem, get the package uploaded, and the advisory
published.

Regards,

-Roberto

--