Migrating through .sql files works, but please note that this can be a very disk and time consuming process. For small databases it is not a big problem but consider that databases can be many GB in size and in such cases the downtime can be considerable, and also it may not even be possible to complete it.

However if we do not have any upstream support, maybe we need to go this route. But in such case, maybe we need to check with our sponsors on what kind of databases they have and what kind of migration strategy is feasible for them.

// Ola

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 11:25, Jan Ingvoldstad <jan-debian-lts-2014@oyet.no> wrote:
On 2019-01-03 10:40, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:

> You can always cross-migrate via logical database dumps as .sql files
> instead of in-place binary files.

This is not guaranteed to work, and you need to take special care with
mysqldump and mysql options for such migration dumps.

For instance, if a table contains datetime entries '0000-00-00
00:00:00', or duplicate primary keys, it's not necessarily trivial to
migrate using the ordinary, safe options for migrating.

Jan

/  ola@inguza.com                    Folkebogatan 26            \
|  opal@debian.org                   654 68 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /